Rustic Cherry Tomato and Gorgonzola Pizza
This recipe presents a delightful twist on traditional pizza, featuring a rustic blend of flavours. The dough, made with strong bread flour and fresh yeast, yields a wonderfully chewy crust. Topped with a colourful array of cherry tomatoes, which are briefly sautéed to intensify their flavour, and generously sprinkled with creamy gorgonzola cheese. Finished with aromatic herbs like fresh basil and thyme, and a touch of La Chinata Sweet Smoked Paprika Flakes for a hint of smokiness. This rustic cherry tomato and gorgonzola pizza is a delightful combination of savoury and tangy flavours, perfect for a cosy night in or a casual gathering with friends and family.
Ingredients for the dough:
- 300 g Caputo Flour
- 16 g Caputo Instant yeast
- 1 glass of water
- 16 g colavita extra virgin olive oil
- 9 g salt
- 7 g sugar
For the rest of the ingredients:
- 600 g mixed yellow, orange, and red cherry tomatoes
- 180 g gorgonzola cheese
- Fresh basil leaves
- Thyme powder to taste
- Fresh thyme sprigs
- Flour for rolling out the dough
- Olive oil for brushing the dough
- La Chinata Sweet Smoked Paprika Flakes
1. In a large bowl, dissolve and mix the fresh yeast with a little water from the glass, let it rest for about 5 minutes.
2. In a large bowl, place the flour, and create a well in the center like a volcano. Add the dissolved yeast, and with your fingers, mix only the centre part, gradually incorporating some flour from the edges. Then add the salt and continue mixing until combined.
3. Gradually add the remaining water while kneading lightly until you get a soft and slightly sticky dough. If needed, add a tablespoon more of water.
4. Transfer the dough onto a floured surface and knead well for about 10 minutes until it becomes smooth, elastic, and homogeneous.
5. Shape the dough into a ball, place it in a large lightly floured bowl, cover it, and let it rest for about 2 hours.
6. After this time, deflate the dough by punching it down, transfer it onto the floured surface, and roll it out with a rolling pin into a rectangular shape. Adjust the thickness according to your preference. Place it on a baking tray lined with parchment paper.
7. Wash the cherry tomatoes, dry them, and sauté them for a few minutes in a pan with a little olive oil. Let them cool slightly, then distribute them evenly over the pizza base. Let it rest like this for about 25 minutes.
8. Brush the edges of the pizza with olive oil using a brush. Bake at 200ºC for about 9 minutes, but keep an eye on it as baking time may vary depending on the thickness of the pizza and the oven's power. Bake until the base is golden brown.
9. Remove the pizza from the oven and immediately add the gorgonzola cheese, allowing it to melt slightly with the residual heat of the pizza. Place the pizza back in the oven for 2 more minutes.
10. Finally, sprinkle with La Chinata Sweet Smoked Paprika Flakes, decorate with thyme powder, fresh thyme sprigs, basil leaves, and drizzle with a little olive oil.